This recipe for almond and butternut squash salad was inspired by a recipe on epicurious. It is so colorful and is great on Passover or all year long.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 butternut squash, peeled and cut into cubes
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup whole almonds, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1 (5-ounce) bag baby greens
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. Toss the squash with 1 tablespoon oil in a baking pan and spread out in 1 layer.
3. Season with salt and pepper and roast in middle of oven, stirring once, halfway through, until squash is just tender, about 30 minutes total. Cool in pan on a rack until warm, about 15 minutes.
4. While squash is roasting, cook chopped almonds in remaining oil in a small saucepan or skillet over moderately low heat, stirring constantly, until golden, about 3 minutes, then season with salt and pepper. Pour almonds and oil into a fine-mesh sieve set over a large bowl and cool until warm, about 10 minutes.
5. When almonds and oil have cooled, whisk lemon juice into oil in bowl until combined well, then season with salt and pepper.
6. In a large bowl, toss the squash, baby greens, half of almonds and dressing to coat.
7. Divide salad among 6 salad plates and sprinkle with remaining almonds.