Try spinach and pastami filled mushroom caps for a fun and different appetizer for Shabbos (or any meal).
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 18 large fresh button mushrooms (about 1 pound) washed throughly
- 2 slices pastrami (turkey pastrami also works well)
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1 package (10-ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry (or fresh cooked and drained well)
- 1/3 cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- Lemon slices for garnish
1. Lightly spray 13x9-inch baking dish with nonstick Pesach cooking spray. Preheat oven to 375.
2. Pull entire stem out of each mushroom cap.
Cut thin slice from base of each stem; discard. Chop stems.
3. Cook pastrami in medium skillet over medium heat until crisp. Remove with tongs to paper towel; set aside.
4. Add mushroom stems and onion to hot drippings in skillet. Cook and stir until onion is soft.
5. Add spinach, red pepper, lemon juice and lemon peel; blend well.
6. Stuff mushroom caps with spinach mixture; place in single layer in prepared baking dish.
7. Crumble pastrami; sprinkle it over tops of mushrooms.
8. Bake 15 minutes or until heated through.
Garnish, if desired. Serve immediately.