This is a lighter, vegetarian cholent to celebrate the New Year for the trees. The recipe has something for everyone. It is heartwarming and delicious.
For best results, use a great quality extra virgin olive oil. We love Colavita!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup wheat berries
- 1 cup barley
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup Kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- ½ cup pitted and chopped dates
- ½ cup stemmed and chopped dried figs
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 7 cups vegetable broth or water
- Garnish: Pomegranate arils, chopped flat-leaf parsley
1. Preheat slow cooker to low.
2. Combine onions, carrots, tomato paste, garlic, wheat berries, barley, raisins, Kalamata olives, dates, figs, salt, pepper, and broth or water in the insert of the slow cooker. Drizzle with evoo.
3. Cover and cook overnight.
4. Before serving, scatter arils and parsley over the top.
Want recipes like this delivered straight to your inbox? Sign up now for Jamie Geller's Weekly Newsletter.