Sticky buns are a dessert or breakfast pastry that generally consist of rolled pieces of leavened dough — sometimes containing brown sugar or cinnamon — which are then compressed together to form a kind of flat loaf corresponding to the size of the baking pan. Before the dough is placed in the pan, the latter is lined with the "sticky" ingredients like maple syrup, honey (or both), as well as nuts and perhaps more sugar and sometimes butter. After the buns are baked, they are inverted so that the pan lining then becomes a topping. Commercially produced sticky buns, however, are usually just baked in an aluminum loaf tin, which allows the topping to suffuse the buns, making them sticky throughout. The way the buns were baked allows them to more or less be pulled off as individual servings, although it is often a futile effort. (Wikipedia)
Five fun facts:
- Sticky buns were originally known as "Schnecken" - a German word.
- It's believed German settlers in Pennsylvania first created these tasty buns.
- Monkey breadis a type of sticky bun.
- Sticky Buns should always be made from a yeast dough.
- In the UK they make sticky buns with raisins and call them Chelsea Buns.
- Sticky Fig Rolls with Dates & Currants- A lovely addition to your menu, this super simple recipe is built on a buttery, biscuit-like base and showcases a medley of Fall fruit favorites and a touch of brown sugar and spice, all “rolled” up in a delicious sticky-sweet package. A distant cousin of the cinnamon roll, the Sticky Fig Roll offers a beautiful fragrant sweetness, as opposed to sugary sweetness.
- Sticky Bun Noodle Kugel- Got this recipe years ago, and can't remember from where. It is made in a Bundt pan as it makes a beautiful presentation. I am sure it can be made in a regular round or square pan, although I have never tried it. I serve it on holidays and rarely have any left. If you want something sweet and delicious, this is it!
- California Walnut Sticky Buns- This recipe uses pizza dough, so enables you to make these yummy sticky buns in a snap.
- PB&J Babka Buns- The perfect blend of peanut butter and jam, in an ooey gooey bun. Delish.
- Challah Dough Cinnamon Buns - The ultimate sticky bun.
Nutritional Information for one frosted cinnamon bun:
Fat: 16 g
Carbohydrates: 32 g
Cholesterol: 2 mg
Sodium: 198 mg
Protein: 3 g
Sugars: 17 g