A chiffon cake is a very light cake made with vegetable oil, eggs, sugar, flour, baking powder, and flavorings. It is a combination of both batter and foam type cakes. In contrast to butter, the traditional fat used in cake making, it is difficult to beat air into oil, so chiffon cakes, like angel cakes and other foam cakes, achieve a fluffy texture by beating egg whites until stiff, and folding them into the cake batter before baking. Its aeration properties rely on both the quality of the meringue and the chemical leaveners. Its oil-based batter is initially blended before folding into the meringue. (Wikipedia)
Five Fun Facts:
- The chiffon cake was invented in 1927 by Harry Baker, a California insurance salesman turned caterer. Mr. Baker kept the recipe secret for 20 years until he sold it to General Mills. At this point the name was changed to "chiffon cake" and a set of 14 recipes and variations was released to the public in a Betty Crocker pamphlet published in 1948.
- Chiffon cakes tend to be lower in saturated fat than butter cakes, potentially making them healthier than their butter-heavy counterparts.
- California and Arizona produce 95% of the entire U.S. lemon crop.
- During the European Renaissance, fashionable ladies used lemon juice as a way to redden their lips.
- Lemon trees bloom and produce fruit year-round. Each tree can produce between 500 and 600 pounds of lemons in a year.
Five Cake Recipes:
- Maple Walnut Chiffon Cake- This chiffon cake tastes even better with Brown Sugar Glaze on top. For best results, chiffon cakes should be baked in a round cake tube pan. This allows for the cake to cook evenly.
- Lemon Lavender Cake- Cake for a winter's morning. In Israel, Tu Bishvat, is at the end of winter, when the country is beginning to bloom, and the rainy season is in full force. It makes sense that rabbis living in the Middle East would have chosen to mark the birthday of the trees when nature begins to recover from the cold, and lots of fruits are newly available.
- Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake- A classic lemon poppy seed bundt cake made with whole wheat pastry flour for a healthier touch.
- Dark Cherry Bundt Cake- There is nothing dark or sinister about this luscious Cherry Bundt Cake!
- Evelyn Pike Rubin’s Sweet Summer Peach Cake- This easy to bake cake, involves a rich batter layered with perfectly ripe fruit, capturing that just picked summer fresh taste. Peaches are one of those fruits that jump out of the orchard bushel and into your grocery cart when they are at their peak. They should be firm to the touch, but smell sweet and ripe. In the fall, try making this with crisp apples. Follow the harvest and tailor this recipe to whichever fruits are in season.
Click for more Cake Recipes.
Nutrition information per slice of lemon chiffon cake:
Fat: 0.3 g
Carbohydrates: 37 g
Cholesterol: 0 mg
Sodium: 57 mg
Protein: 7 g
Sugars: 26 g