Filling, meat-heavy meals are the foundation for most meals during the winter months. For those looking for a break from meat, mushrooms can provide the same level of heartiness without the weighed-down feeling that meat can cause. Below are 5 quick and delicious mushroom recipes to incorporate into your weekday meals.
1. Risotto with Wild Mushrooms This risotto is a great weekday entrée. It only takes 30 minutes to cook and requires minimum active cooking time, because the pressure cooker will do all of the work for you! To serve as a formal weekday meal, pair the risotto with Cranberry Walnut Salmon on a Bed of Spinach.
2. Creamy Mushroom Soup. Make it a meal by serving generous portions of soup along with rice and roasted vegetables. Or pair it with Corn and Rice Kugel and Roasted Sweet Vegetables in Spicy Cinnamon Cider.
3. Polenta with Mushrooms Serve as a main dish or a side simply by increasing or decreasing the serving size of polenta. I love the idea of large fried polenta patties with a heaping serving of wild mushrooms and a side of Broccoli Rabe with Raisins and Pine Nuts followed by Pistachio Chocolate Chip Cake.
4. Zucchini Pasta with Mushrooms and Oven Dried Tomatoes A fun play on a classic pasta + sauce meal, substitute traditional pasta with zucchini. Because this pasta does not cause carb-induced anxiety, try some Fresh Cranberry Streusel Bars for dessert or Bourbon Mousse and Gingersnap Cookies!
5. Layered Mushroom Kugel This kugel is gluten-free and tastes best using different types of mushrooms. It can be made parve or dairy and serves as an excellent side to any weekday or shabbos dinner.