Contributed by:BONNIE TAUB-DIX, MA, RD, CDN
As a mom of 3 growing boys, ages 22, 19 and 14, I'm always looking for great snack recipes. I came up with this healthy treat that's high in fiber, low in fat, and loaded with flavor.
Yield: 2 loaves or 24 muffins servings
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
4 egg whites
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup skim milk
1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
2 large eggs
2/3 cup water
4 ripe bananas, mashed well
1/3 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spoon flours into dry measuring cups and level with a knife. Whisk together with the next 4 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a large bowl.
- Combine sugar, egg whites, oil, milk, lemon juice, vanilla extract, and eggs in a large bowl and beat with a hand mixer at a high speed until blended.
- Add water and mashed bananas, beating at a low speed until blended together.
- Add flour mixture to banana mixture and beat at a low speed just until combined (don't over mix.)
- Coat 2 loaf pans (9 X 5 inch each) or muffin tins (24 muffins) with cooking spray.
- Spoon batter into pans and fill half-way. Sprinkle pecans evenly over batter.
- Bake breads (in loaf pans) for 1 hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean, or bake muffins (in muffin tins) for 30 minutes and check as above.
- Cool in pans for 10 minutes and then remove from pans and cool on wire rack.
Elliot Reviewed on 09/09/2009
This is fantastic, I even added some nutmeg which gave it and extra kick of flavor! This is a winner for my entire family.