Summer is basically here, it's time to detox and get in shape. Here are my 9 detox tips to help you start things off right.
1. Drink: Make sure you drink 8 cups of water (preferably between meals)
2. Sleep: Aim for sleeping at least 7 hours each night, but ideally 8 (the detox and rebuilding take place mainly while we sleep!
3. Eat In Color: Eat lots of vegetables of as many colors as you can. Aim for 1 pound of vegetables a day (half raw and half cooked is ideal), but if you are not used to eating vegetables, do this gradually to prevent digestive reactions. Add 1 portion of vegetables a day, instead of going for the full pound at once.
- eat raw
Eat them as soups, smoothies, salads, and try using leafy greens as wraps. Plants should fill up 75% of your plate. The remaining 25% of your plate should have good quality protein and a bit of good fats. Try to eat a brassica vegetable (broccoli, kale, cauliflower, arugula, radishes, kohlrabi, cabbage, etc) and raw garlic every day. They are really powerful detoxifiers.
4. Fruit: Enjoy fresh fruit, especially in the morning (whole fruit is better than fruit juice)
5. Protein: Eat good quality protein: eggs*, chicken*, turkey*, beef*, wild fish* (avoid tuna and farmed fish), beans, lentils, organic tofu or tempeh.
6. Fat: Consume good quality fats: avocado (fruit and oil), coconut oil, olive oil, nuts and seeds. Avoid vegetable or grain oils, and nix margarine.
7. Reduce Sugar: Substitute sugar for unrefined stevia, raw honey, pure maple syrup or coconut sugar (or nectar) and only use them sparingly.
8. Whole Grains: Choose whole, gluten free grains and pseudo-grains such as quinoa, forbidden rice or brown rice, buckwheat, millet, amaranth, etc, eating them only in moderation.
9. Detox Foods: Try eating as many of these detoxing foods as you can: artichokes, apples, almonds, beets, lemons, green veggies, garlic, sea weeds, brassica vegetables and broccoli sprouts, cilantro, parsley and other fresh herbs, berries, fennel, and spices such as turmeric and cinnamon. *preferably pastured
Featured Main Image: Detox Drink