Walk on the wild side with zucchini latkes. The curried yogurt sauce and mango chutney add just the right amount of zip to these fritters. Prep time doesn't include sauce chill time.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 20 latkesServings
- 1/2 cup plain Greek-style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh lime juice
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 pound zucchini, grated
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 2 whole scallions, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
1. In a small bowl, combine yogurt, mango chutney, lime juice, mayonnaise and curry powder.
2. Whisk well, cover, and chill for 1-2 hours.
1. Grate zucchini onto a paper towel and season with about 1 teaspoon of kosher salt. Wrap up in paper towel and squeeze out excess liquid.
2. Place the squeezed zucchini into a large bowl and add the egg, scallions, flour and pepper. Stir well.
3. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet set over medium heat.
4. Using about 2 tablespoons of the zucchini mixture, form a patty and place it in the skillet. Repeat until there are about six latkes in the pan. There will be enough zucchini mixture to make two batches of latkes.
5. Cook latkes, turning halfway through cooking, until they are golden brown on both sides, about 4-5 minutes per side.
6. Transfer cooked latkes to a paper towel to drain off the excess oil.
7. Serve with the yogurt-curry sauce as an appetizer or side dish.
You can substitute zesty relish, onion marmalade or other Indian type sauce for mango chutney.