- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 ServingsServings
- 1 cup wheat berries, 3 cups water
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 green pepper, chopped
- 1/2 yellow pepper, chopped
- 4 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
- 1/4 Teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 - 8 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 - 28 ounce can tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups beef broth, 1 - 15 ounce can kidney beans
- 1 -15 ounce can white beans
- Salt, to taste
1 Cook wheat in 3 cups of water for 1 hour until tender; add more water if necessary, drain. Rinse with cool water and drain thoroughly.
2 In the microwave on medium heat, cook onion, green and yellow pepper for 1 minute, or until desired softness.
3 In a 4-quart pot, combine remaining ingredients with microwaved vegetables.
4 On stovetop, bring to a boil and simmer uncovered 1 hour or until desired consistency is reached, stirring occasionally.
Source: Wheat Foods Council