- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (1-pound) eggplant,:cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 yellow onions,:chopped
- 3 cloves garlic,:minced
- 2 medium:zucchini, diced
- 2 large:red bell peppers, cored, seeded, diced
- 1 to 2 jalapeno:peppers, seeded, finely minced
- 1 (28 ounce) can:Italian plum tomatoes
- 1/2 cup:red wine
- 1 to 2 tablespoon:chili powder
- 1 tablespoon:ground cumin
- 2 tablespoon:fresh chopped oregano or 2 teaspoons dried
- 1 teaspoon:fennel seeds
- 1-1/2 cup:cooked white beans (1-15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- 1-1/2 cup:cooked kidney beans (1-15-ounce can, drained and rinsed)
- zest:of one lemon
- 3 tablespoon:lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon:sugar
- 1/3 cup:chopped fresh cilantro
- Salt and freshly:ground black pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350. Place cubed eggplant into small, shallow roasting pan. Toss with 2 Tablespoon olive oil.
- Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 30 minutes, stirring once. Remove from oven, set aside. Heat 3 Tablespoon olive oil on medium heat in a 5 to 6 quart stock pot or Dutch oven.
- Add onions, cook for 4 minutes. Add garlic, cook for a minute more. Add zucchini, red bell peppers, and jalapeños. Cook 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Coarsely chop the canned tomatoes, add to pot with their liquid. Add wine, cumin oregano, and fennel seeds.
- Add chili powder to desired heat. Gently stir in reserved eggplant, simmer for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Add beans, lemon zest, lemon juice, sugar, and cilantro. Add salt and freshly ground pepper to taste.
- Simmer for 5 minutes. Serve with sour cream, grated cheddar cheese, and chopped green onions.
Taste and check the heat of the jalapenos. If very hot only use one, if mildly hot, use two. Wash hands with soap and water after handling.