- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 32 ServingsServings
- 3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1 small onion, finely chopped 1
- 1-2 cloves garlic, crushed 1-2
- 1 (19oz/540 mL) can lentils 1
- 1 large potato, finely chopped 1
- 1 cup fresh or frozen peas 250 mL
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1 Tbsp all purpose flour 15 mL
- 1/4 cup water, extra 60 mL
- 3 cups all purpose flour 750 mL3 Tbsp canola oil 45 mL
- 1 cup warm water, approximately 250 mL
- canola oil for deep frying
1 In a skillet, over medium heat, add canola oil, onion, garlic, curry powder, cumin, chili flakes, cook 1 minutes, stirring.
2 vered 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender
3 Blend flour with second amount of water, add to mixture, and stir until mixture boils and thickens. Cool to room temperature before using.
4 To make pastry, sift flour into bowl, stir in canola oil, and cumin, gradually stir in enough water to mix to form dough. Knead on lightly floured surface about 5 minutes or until smooth. Cover, let stand 10 minutes.
5 Divide pastry in half, roll each half to 1/8 inch (3 mm) thickness. Cut into rounds/squares using 3.5 inches (9 cm) cutter
6 Repeat with remaining pastry and filling. Deep fry samosas a few at a time until golden brown (about one to two minutes); drain on paper towel. For extra spicy samosas, increase curry and add cayenne pepper to taste.