A classic, Cabbage Soup recipe that will even have teenagers asking for more.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 to 8 servings ServingsServings
- 1 pound:stew beef, cubed
- 1 tablespoon:olive oil
- 1 (16-ounce) bag :shredded white cabbage
- 1 (16-ounce) can:crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups:tomato sauce
- 3 cups:water
- 2 tablespoons:lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons:white vinegar
- 1/2 cup:light brown sugar, packed
- 1/4 cup:granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon :onion powder
- 1 tablespoon :sea salt
- Rinse meat and pat dry. In a 6-quart stockpot, heat olive oil and brown beef over medium heat for 2 minutes, stirring.
- Add cabbage, tomatoes and tomato sauce, water, lemon juice, vinegar, both sugars, onion powder and salt.
- Bring to boil. Skim off any foam and discard.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for at least 2 hours. Longer is fine; you really want the flavors to mellow. Ladle into bowls and serve.
This recipe is a classic. When I put the word out that I was doing a cookbook, I got three versions of it and I rolled them all into one. We tested it on a bunch of 14-year-old boys and they were licking their bowls and asking for seconds.
It is a sweet recipe so you can use less sugar if you prefer and/or add a teaspoon of pepper for an extra kick.