- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 10 ServingsServings
- 2 cups grated potatoes (unpeeled) 500 mL
- 1/2 cup peeled, grated sweet potato 125 mL
- 1/2 cup onion, finely chopped 125 mL
- 1/2 cup long-grain or short-grain rice, cooked 125 mL
- 2 eggs, beaten 2
- 3 Tbsp brown rice flour 45 mL
- 1/2 tsp gluten free baking powder 2 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
- canola oil for frying
1 In a sieve set over the sink or a bowl, combine potatoes, sweet potato, and onion.
2 Using your hands, firmly squeeze handfuls of grated potatoes to remove as much liquid as possible.
3 Transfer to a large bowl and add rice, eggs, brown rice flour, baking powder and salt. Mix well.
4 Preheat oven to 250F (120 C).
5 In a large, wide skillet, over medium-high heat, heat just enough canola oil to cover the bottom of the pan in a thin layer.
6 In batches, using 2 Tbsp (30 mL) of the mixture per latke, drop latkes about 1 inch (2.5 cm) apart in pan.
7 Flatten to 1/4-inch (0.5 cm) thickness with the back of a spoon.
8 Repeat with remaining mixture, adding canola oil and reheating pan between batches as needed. Serve hot.