This recipe calls for cocoa powder to flavor the batter and white chocolate chips to mix in, but you can use your favorite kind of chips. The chia seeds add a little extra protein and fiber the recipe works well with whole wheat flour. These muffins would work equally well for snack, dessert or breakfast.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 12 muffinsServings
- 3 medium-to-large very ripe bananas
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
1. Heat oven to 375°F. Spray muffin tins with non stick cooking spray.
2. Mash bananas in the bottom of a large bowl. (You’ll have a little over 1 cup mashed banana total.) Add chia seeds.
3. Whisk in coconut oil, then brown sugar, egg, and vanilla.
4. Place baking soda, salt, cinnamon, flour and cocoa powder in a sifter or fine-mesh strainer and sift over wet ingredients.
5. Stir dry and wet ingredients with a spatula until just combined. Stir in white chocolate chips.
6. Pour into prepared muffin cups and bake for 20-22 minutes until a toothpick comes out dry.
7. Cool in pan for 10 to 15 minutes before serving.
Adapted from Smitten Kitchen's Double Chocolate Banana Bread.