A tangy cucumber salad topped with shallots and peanuts is the perfect side to any Asian meal.
- Prep Time
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 English cucumbers, unpeeled, rinsed, and dried
- 1 shallot
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄4 cup white vinegar
- Kosher salt
- Red pepper flakes
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped cilantro
- 2 tablespoons coarsely chopped dry roasted salted peanuts
1. In a small saucepan, mix sugar and water together and bring to a boil. Cook, stirring, just until sugar dissolves, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool for 5 minutes.
2. While simple syrup is cooling, prepare vegetables: Quarter cucumbers lengthwise and slice to form triangles. Finely chop shallot and mince garlic.
3. Place cucumbers, shallots, and garlic in a medium bowl. Toss with simple syrup, vinegar, and salt and red pepper to taste.
4. Sprinkle with cilantro and peanuts.
Recipe Courtesy of Quick & Kosher: Meals in Minutes by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2010)