This recipe is best made in a slow cooker although you can make it in the oven. Vary the spiciness (cayenne pepper or pepper sauce) according to your family's tastes.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8 people ServingsServings
- 4 to 5 lb. boneless chuck roast, well trimmed of fat
- 1 c. each: ketchup and barbeque sauce
- 1 (12-oz) bottle Heinz Chili sauce
- 3/4 c. water
- 1-1/2 c. finely chopped onion
- 3 T. brown sugar
- 1 T. worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 t. Liquid Smoke (or more to taste)
- Cayenne pepper or hot pepper sauce, to taste
1 Combine all ingredients except chuck roast.
2 Place about half of the sauce ingredients in the bottom of the slow cooker; Nestle chuck roast into the sauce. Top with remainng sauce.
3 Cover and cook on HIGH setting for 6 hours. At the end of the six hours, remove cover and pierce meat with a fork. If meat is extremely tender; shut off slow cooker.
4 If meat isn''t quite done, baste with sauce and cover and cook for an additional 1 to 2 hours. Meat will literally fall apart when pierced with fork.
5 Remove meat (carefully) to a large bowl. Shred meat with two forks. Return meat to sauce in slow cooker and combine.
6 Serve shredded beef and sauce on challah rolls or other soft rolls.
Optional: Place chuck roast and sauce in roasting pan. Cover tightly and cook in conventional oven at 350 degrees for 3-1/2 to 4 hours, or till meat is extremely tender. Shred meat in sauce and serve as directed above.