My super popular Whole Roasted Chicken with Sun-Dried Tomato Pesto gets an instant upgrade with Grow and Behold's Sara's Spring Chicken. Watch Naf Hanau and I show you how easy this holiday and everyday recipe can be. Lookout for Naf’s top tips for perfect roast chicken and my #1 tip: Never underestimate the power of quality ingredients. Check out my favorite online meat purveyor, Grow and Behold, for no antibiotics, no hormones, OU Kosher, pasture-raised, beef and poultry.
Note we made a few changes to the recipe below, you can choose whichever method you prefer.
1. Rub all the pesto underneath the skin (don’t forget the legs!).
2. Season chicken skin with salt, pepper, paprika and olive oil.
3. Place on a roasting rack inside a roasting pan.
4. Pour 2-3 cups of chicken stock (or a combo of stock + water) into the bottom of the roasting pan. Add 2 lemons, halved, to the pan.
5. Roast low and slow 300°F for 70-90mins (convection) or 325°F for 70-90mins until the legs are loose. (Watch the video to see what that means). Loosely cover with foil if skin is browning too quickly.
6. Squeeze lemons into pan juices. Carve chicken and serve with pan juices.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup packed fresh basil leaves
- 3 tablespoons pine nuts
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1/3 cup sundried tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 (5-pound) whole chicken
1. In a food processor, pulse basil, pine nuts, garlic, sundried tomatoes, salt and pepper a few times until coarsely chopped. With processor running, slowly add olive oil until combined.
2. Preheat oven to 400°F.
3. Place chicken on a greased sheet pan or roasting pan. Completely cover with pesto, lifting skin on top of breast and rubbing underneath the skin as well.
4. Loosely cover with foil and roast for 30 minutes. Remove foil and continue to roast until a thermometer inserted into the breast reaches 165°F, about 1 hour.
5.Carve into pieces and serve.