It is hard to make jelly doughnuts into health food, but this recipe provides whole grains and a little fruit.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 24 doughnutsServings
- 3¼ cups whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- ½ teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- ⅔ cup nondairy milk, such as almond or soy
- ½ cup fruit preserves
- ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil, divided
1. Mix whole wheat flour, baking powder, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg, and sugar in a large bowl. Stir eggs, vanilla, milk, and ¼ cup evoo in a separate bowl.
2. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix. Knead dough for a few minutes.
3. Take about 2 tablespoons of the dough and roll into a small ball, flatten in your hand, and spoon in a drop of jelly. Fold up the dough to cover the jelly, maintaining the round shape.
4. Heat ¼ cup evoo in a frying pan over high heat. Once hot, add doughnut and roll it around in the oil until all sides are golden-brown. Watch closely to prevent overcooking.
5. Remove from heat and allow to drain on paper towels.
5. Before serving, heat in hot oven for 5 minutes.