Step back in time with savory and satisfying stuffed peppers -- there's no school like the old school!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 2 teaspoons (fish free) Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion flakes
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup quick-cooking rice, prepared according to package directions
- 3 1/2 cups prepared marinara sauce, divided
- 5 large red or green bell peppers, seeded, veins removed, tops cut off
1. Preheat oven to 350 °F.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and sauté ground beef for 3 to 4 minutes, until it loses most of its pinkness. Pour off fat.
3. Add Worcestershire sauce, garlic and chili powders, onion flakes, parsley and black pepper and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, stirring continuously.
4. Mix in cooked rice and 2 cups of the marinara sauce until well combined.
Lightly stuff each pepper with beef and rice mixture and stand stuffed peppers upright in an ungreased 9 x 13-inch pan. Peppers should be standing upright and close together.
5. Pour remaining 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce over top and around peppers.
Bake, uncovered, for 1 hour to 1 hour and 30 minutes, until peppers are soft.
6. Spoon any remaining sauce from the pan over peppers before serving.
Garnish the stuffed peppers with their tops. You can create a more colorful platter by using a combination of green, red, yellow and orange peppers.