Thanks to Dani, my sister in law's sister in law who's also a friend of mine, I learned of a new kosher ingredient on the market: non-dairy (already whipped) whipped topping. Such a time saver in so many recipes! Now I don't have to whip up the non-dairy liquid topping when all I want is a simple dollop or layer of whipped "cream." This recipe, for example, might not have been possible within the Quick & Kosher 15-minute prep time constraints if not for Dani's find. I won't be over-dramatic and call her a life saver; let's just call her a time saver. And that's the ultimate compliment in my book!
- Prep Time
- 8 Servings ServingsServings
- 1 (16-ounce) prepared pound cake, cut into 1-inch cubes, divided
- 2 (12-ounce) packages frozen strawberries in sugar or syrup, thawed, divided
- 2 (8-ounce) containers non-dairy whipped topping, divided
- Crumble 4 cake cubes to resemble coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Place half the remaining cake cubes in the bottom of a glass trifle bowl.
- Spread one package of strawberries in syrup over the cake layer.
- Cover with 1 container non-diary whipped topping, spreading to edges.
- Repeat layer with remaining cake, strawberries and whipped topping.
- Sprinkle reserved cake crumbs over top.
- Chill in refrigerator about 2 to 3 hours before serving, but no longer than 4 hours, because whipped topping will begin to liquefy.
Decorate the top with fresh sliced strawberries if you like. Or, for a different flavor note, use lemon pound cake.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER