This healthy side dish features barley for whole grain goodness. It nice and hearty in the Winter.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 cup water 250 mL
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking barley 125 mL
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil, divided 20 mL
- 1 1/2 cups diced onion 375 mL
- 1/2 of (8 oz/225 g) pkg sliced mushrooms 1/2
- 2 medium cloves garlic, minced 2
- 2 cups (1 oz/ 28 g) loosely packed baby spinach 500 mL
- 1 tsp dried oregano leaves, crumbled 5 mL
- 1/2 tsp salt 2 mL
1 Bring water to a boil in a small saucepan over high heat.
2 Stir in barley, reduce heat, cover tightly, and simmer 10 -12 minutes or until tender.
3 Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes.
4 Meanwhile, heat 1/2 Tbsp (7 mL) canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
5 Tilt skillet to coat bottom evenly; add onions, and cook 6 minutes or until richly browned, stirring frequently.
6 Add mushrooms and cook 4 minutes or until tender, using two utensils to toss.
7 Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, stirring constantly.
8 Remove from heat. Add spinach, oregano, salt, and undrained barley.
9 Toss well to blend. Drizzle remaining 1 Tbsp (15 mL) canola oil evenly over all and toss gently until just coated.