Preparation is really the key to enjoying every minute of the long holiday like a vacation instead of like a grueling marathon. Try this delicious easy spinach and Bulgarit (or Feta) quinoa cashew patty to take with you on day trips and enjoy a Gluten free treat that is a healthy and convenient choice for your travels.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
Yogurt Dill sauce
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, reduced-fat or whole
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped scallions
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh dill (divided)
- Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/4 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 9 1/2 ounces chopped baby spinach or any seasonal green from kale to chard
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon chopped dill
- 1/4 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup potato starch
- 2 ounces crumbled 5% Bulgarit or Feta cheese
Directions for Sauce:
1. Whisk together the yogurt, scallions, lemon juice, and 2 teaspoons dill in a small bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
2. Cover and refrigerate the sauce for at least 1 hour to allow the flavors to meld.
Directions for Quinoa Patties:
1. Cook quinoa according to package directions.
2. Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook, stirring often, until wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a medium-size bowl.
3. Add the eggs, quinoa, 1 tablespoon dill, lemon zest, and 1/4 teaspoon black pepper and mix well.
4. In a food processor, puree the cashews, then add them together with the potato starch and vegetable mixture, and let it sit for a few minutes to allow the mixture to set, then add in the the crumbled 5% Bulgarit or Feta cheese.
5. In a clean large skillet, and add 1 tablespoon oil, and heat for a few minutes.
6. Form quinoa patties about 2 1/2 inches in diameter and 1/2 inch thick. Place the patties in a skillet, in batches if necessary. Cook the patties until they’re browned on the outside, 4 to 5 minutes per side, and then flip.
7. Serve warm or cold with lemon-dill yogurt sauce.