The fragrance of berries simmering away with a bit of sparkling wine is heavenly. The whole house smells amazing. This recipe makes a fair amount of jam which can be frozen or canned.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 7 to 8 cups jam and about 12 cookiesServings
Sparkling Berry Jam
- 5 ounces sparkling wine, such as Prosecco or Champagne
- 1½ pounds raspberries, frozen work well
- ½ pound strawberries, frozen work well
- 4½ cups sugar
- Pinch of sea salt
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- ½ cup cream cheese
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1¼ cups flour + more for rolling out dough
- 1 whole egg
- 2 teaspoons water
- 1½ cups Sparkling Berry Jam, chilled
Sparkling Berry Jam:
1. Simmer sparkling wine, raspberries, strawberries, sugar, and salt over medium heat until sugar dissolves.
2. Continue simmering, stirring occasionally, for about 15 to 20 minutes, until berries are broken up and fairly mushy (in a good way). If any scum appears on the surface, use a wooden or metal spoon to skim it off.
3. Test for set-point by placing a teaspoon full of jam on a plate and placing the plate in the refrigerator for 15 minutes. If the jam has developed a skin and is holding together, take off the heat and cool. If not, continue cooking for another 10 minutes before testing for set-point again.
4. Cool completely before filling hamantaschen. Jam can be stored for up to 1 week in the refrigerator or frozen for up to 2 months.
1. Pulse sugar, butter, cream cheese, egg yolk, and vanilla In a food processor until combined.
2. Add flour and pulse until dough forms a ball.
3. Turn dough out onto counter and knead a few turns until smooth and elastic. Flatten into a disk and wrap in plastic. Chill for at least 1 hour and up to 2 days, or freeze for 1 month.
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment.
2. Whisk egg and water together and set aside.
3. Roll out dough on lightly floured surface. Cut into 3-inch circles.
4. Spoon a small amount of jam into center of dough. Lightly brush edges with egg wash. Form into triangle, being sure to pinch edges tightly together.
5. Place on lined baking sheet. Continue with remaining dough.
6. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown.