Grits-- a true Southern American comfort food.
- Prep Time
- - ServingsServings
- 8 cups:chicken stock or water
- 2 cups:grits
- 1/2 cup:chopped parsley
- 1/2 cup:chopped scallions
- :olive oil
- :salt and pepper to taste
- Place the chicken stock in a large pot and bring to a boil. Add the grits and salt and pepper to taste.
- Lightly coat the slow cooker insert with olive oil (this helps keep the grits from sticking). Turn the slow cooker to high.
- Add the grits and stock to the insert and cook on high for 6 hours until thick and tender (texture should be sort of soft, but not too gritty).
- Turn machine to warm, stir in parsley and scallions and serve when ready. Adjust salt and pepper as needed.
Do not use quick cooking or instant grits.
Contributed by: Jewish Slow Cooker Recipes by LAURA FRANKEL
Okay, okay I am a chef known for fancy food and international ingredients. But, I love plenty of good old American foods as well. Grits are great! They have a wonderful texture and what goes better with "gravy" than grits? Grits are the perfect soaker-upper for sauces and gravies.