The best French Fries are the ones that are fried twice.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 6 large baking potatoes, peeled and cut into shoestrings (¼ x 4-inches), about 3 ½ pounds
- 2 cups canola oil
- 2 tablespoons kosher salt
1. Line a cookie sheet with paper towels.
2. Peel the potatoes and cut them into shoestrings on a mandoline.
3. Heat the oil over medium heat in a heavy-bottomed pan to 325°F. You can measure this with a deep-fry thermometer, or try dropping a cube of bread into the oil. If it is brown in 15 seconds, the oil is at the correct temperature.
4. Place the fries in the oil and cook for 3 to 4 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on the prepared cookie sheet to drain and cool.
5. Increase the heat of the oil to 375°F. Place the fries back in for 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown. Remove with slotted spoon. Salt the fries and serve.
Recipe Courtesy of Quick & Kosher: Meals in Minutes by Jamie Geller (Feldheim 2010)