This is a great simple, colorful, nourishing and delicious make-ahead entrée and a different, easy way to make chicken.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 ServingsServings
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken, cut into 8 parts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 large leeks, thoroughly cleaned and cut in half lengthwise
- 4 medium carrots cut in half lengthwise
- 3 medium parsnips, peeled and cut in quarters lengthwise
- salt and fresh black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock
- 10 ounces fresh mushrooms
Wash and dry the chicken.
Heat the olive oil in a deep sauté pan and brown the pieces a few at a time for 8-10 minutes over medium heat. Remove the chicken from the pan. Add the leeks, carrots and parsnips to the pan and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Return the chicken to the pan, placing the vegetables on top of the pieces. Sprinkle the ingredients with salt, pepper and rosemary. Pour in the wine. Cover the pan and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the mushrooms and cook, covered, for another 10 minutes or until the chicken is completely cooked through. Remove the chicken and vegetables to a serving platter. Place the sauté pan over high heat and bring the pan fluids to a boil. Cook for 2-3 minutes or until thickened. Serve with the chicken and vegetables.