This layered dessert is a showstopper. The contrasting colors and textures will make you look like a star! The components are simple to make, but if you are pressed for time, use store-bought pudding, brownies, and whipped cream. Just layer individually or in one large trifle dish for a picture-perfect dessert!
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- Chocolate pudding
- Brownies, cut into 1-inch pieces
- Whipped cream
- Salted Caramel Sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups water, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
1. Prepare chocolate pudding in a large saucepan over medium heat, mix in 1 1⁄4 cups water with the sugar, corn syrup, and cocoa powder; whisk until it comes to a boil. Once boiling, mix the remaining 1⁄4 cup cold water with the cornstarch until smooth, and whisk into the boiling cocoa mixture. Cook until very thick, about 3-4 minutes. Once it has thickened, remove from heat and stir in the butter/ margarine, vanilla, and salt. Transfer to a heatproof container and cover the surface directly with plastic wrap so it doesn’t form a skin. Allow to cool. Before using, chill in the fridge for about an hour until firm.
2. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a 9x13-inch pan with parchment paper.
3. Make brownies in a heatproof bowl set over a pot of simmering water, melt the butter/margarine with the chocolate chips. Once melted, carefully remove from heat and stir in the sugars, eggs, vanilla, flour, and salt. Spread into prepared pan and bake for 30-35 minutes until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
4. For the whipped cream, in a clean bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the whip attachment, or using a hand mixer, beat the cream and sugar until stiff peaks form.
5. In individual jars or one large trifle dish, layer cooled pudding, brownie pieces, whipped cream, and salted caramel sauce. Continue layering until the serving dish is filled. There are no exact measurements for the layers, it depends on the size of the dish and the look you are going for; just keep the layers even and have fun!
Serve immediately, or cover and store in the fridge for up to one day.
Recipe originally published in JOY of KOSHER with Jamie Geller Magazine Purim 2015 SUBSCRIBE NOW