These salmon cakes are quick, easy, and are a great make ahead meal. To freeze, combine all ingredients, form into cakes, and dredge in panko. Place on a baking sheet and freeze for 30 minutes until semi-solid. Then remove from pan, wrap, and freeze for up to a month.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 (7½-ounce) can salmon, undrained
- ¼ cup chopped celery
- ¼ cup grated carrot
- ½ cup ground walnuts or hazelnuts
- ¼ cup finely chopped green pepper
- ¼ cup finely chopped red pepper
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 egg, beaten
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 3 to 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Flake salmon, including juices into a large mixing bowl. Add celery, carrots, nuts, red and green peppers, onion, egg, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Mix gently to combine.
2. Form 6 to 8 cakes that are 2- to 3-inches around. Pour panko into a plate. Press panko to coat the outside front and back of each cake.
3. In a medium sauté pan, heat oil on medium-high. Place 3 to 4 cakes in the pan, and cook for 3 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip over and cook 2 minutes more. Remove from pan to cool on a rack or plate.
4. Add another tablespoon of oil if the pan seems dry. Cook remaining batch for the same length of time. Serve immediately.