This very easy side dish can also transform into an almond rice pilaf. Just leave out the mushrooms and once it’s finished cooking, mix in 1 cup of slivered almonds and 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 8-10 ServingsServings
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) margarine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 cup fine egg noodles, uncooked
- 2 cups long-grain white rice, uncooked
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- freshly ground black pepper
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
In a large skillet, melt the margarine over medium heat. Add the onion and shallots. Sauté for 6-8 minutes or until golden but not brown. Add the garlic and sauté for 1 minute longer.
Stir in the noodles and sauté until lightly brown. Add in the rice, broth, and mushrooms. Cover the pan and turn the flame down to low.
Cook about 30-40 minutes or until all of the liquid is absorbed. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with parsley.