- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 - 4 servings ServingsServings
- 4 :to 6 portabella mushrooms (8-10 if the mushrooms are small- 3 inch or less)
- 1/2 :lb grated mozzarella cheese
- 1-1/2 :cups marinara sauce or pizza sauce
- 3 :tablespoons olive oil or butter
- 1/2 :cup fresh spinach,
- 1 :large onion, grilled
- Gently rinse and dry the portabellas.
- Place a small amount of butter or oil in a large skillet and preheat.
- Grill the mushrooms until tender and meat like in texture (about 6 minutes each side depending on heat and pan).
- With the ribs (black ridged cup like side) up add sauce and use a spoon to push to the edges.
- Place a few leaves of spinach on top of the sauce and then top with a few grilled onions.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese to cover to the edge.
- Cover pan with lid or foil for 1 minute or until till cheese melts.
- You can also stick these under the broiler for about 1 minute or until the cheese melts and starts to turn golden brown.
- These reheat in the microwave very well.
- Can be made ahead of time.
- Cook the mushroom as per the recipe and then add the cheese and toppings, but don't melt the cheese.
- Cover and refrigerate.
Great appetizer if you use small portabellas