- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 50 ServingsServings
- Pie Crust (recipe follows)
- 1/2 #10 can (1-1/2 quarts) Pinto beans, rinsed, drained
- 5 1/3 cups (14 ounces) flaked coconut
- 8 cups (4 pounds) sugar
- 1 cup (8 ounces) margarine, melted
- 8 Eggs
- 4 teaspoons vanilla
- Pie Crust
- 4 cups All-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup Vegetable shortening
- 11 to 12 tablespoons ice water
1 Divide Pie Crust into 4 equal pieces; roll pieces on floured surface into rectangles to fit bottoms and 3/8-inch up sides of 4 steamtable half-pans.
2 Process remaining ingredients in food processor until smooth; pour 3 the mixture into each steamtable pan.
3 Bake at 425°F. 15 minutes; reduce heat and bake at 350 Â°F. until browned and sharp knife inserted in center of filling comes out clean, about 15 minutes. Cool on wire rack; cut into squares.
4 Combine flour and salt in large bowl; cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add enough water to make pliable dough. Refrigerate, covered, until ready to use.