Cooking the cake in a crock pot results in a moist cake with a unique taste and comforting texture. Decorate with powdered sugar and serve warm, accompanied by ice cream or a warm vanilla custard.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 eggs
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 4 1/2 tablespoon mild extra-virgin olive oil or vegetable oil
- grated zest of one lemon
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- large pinch salt
- 1/4 cup vanilla soy milk
- 2 tablespoon rum or brandy
- 2 large pears, peeled, cored, and cut into pieces
- powdered sugar to decorate
- baking spray or more oil for greasing
1. Spray or prepare a cake pan (about 7” to 7 1/2”) and line with parchment.
2. In your food processor or mixer, beat the eggs with the sugar until frothy. Gradually beat in the oil, and add the zest.
3. Beat in the rest of the ingredients, alternating the dry ones (flour sifted with the baking powder and salt) with the liquid (soy milk and liqueur). Beat until smooth, and fold in the pears.
4. Pour the batter into the pan, and place the pan in your slow cooker. (If your slow cooker is small, you’ll need to use a loaf pan. Might need to use less batter.)
5. Cover and cook for about 2 hours on the high setting. Test with a toothpick.
6. When the cake is ready, allow it to cool on a rack for at least 20-30 minutes before turning it out.
7. Decorate with powdered sugar and serve warm, accompanied by ice cream or a warm vanilla custard.
NOTE: If you want to try baking this cake in the oven, I suggest you bake at 350 F / 180 C. It won't be as moist but it should be fine as long as you don't use the convection program. I would start doing the stick test at 30 min and it can take up to 45 or 50 minutes.