This light, crunchy pastry is often referred to as “Pig’s ears” in America. However the French Jews serve these “ears” at Purim attributing their shape to Haman’s misshapen appendage. Ears are often associated with the villain Haman because Medieval Europe had a ritual of cutting off a villain’s ear prior to execution.
This is a very easy recipe, especially because you don’t have to make the dough from scratch. I have given you detailed steps but it just takes a short time to prepare. Purchased puff pastry sheets are generally pareve so this can be served with tea after a meat meal.
- 3-4 dozen ServingsServings
- 1 17.3 ounce box of puff pastry sheets
- granulated sugar
- Remove the two frozen sheets of dough from the box and defrost at room temperature for 20-30 minutes.
- Spread about ¾ cup of sugar over a pastry board or countertop and press the sugar into both sides of one sheet.
- Roll the sheet lengthwise on the sugar surface until the dough is slightly thinner and about 16 inches long. Do not change the width of the sheet.
- Find the center of the dough on the long side and make a little mark with a knife.
- Starting from each short end, tightly roll up the dough so that each side meets in the middle. Wrap with plastic wrap and freeze for 30 minutes. Repeat the procedure with the other sheet of dough.
- When ready to bake, line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or foil, dull side facing you and lightly sprayed with cooking oil.
- Using a sharp knife, slice the dough into ½ inch slices.
- Use a rolling pin to gently roll each slice-cut side down- in the sugar until the dough is about 1/8 inch thick. Turn the dough over and coat the other cut side with sugar and then place it on a cookie sheet.
- Repeat the rolling and coating of each slice and place it on the cookie sheet with about 1 ½ inches between pastries.
- Place in a preheated 400’F oven and bake for 12- 15 minutes or until the bottom and sides of the cookies are caramelized.
- Remove sheets from the oven and gently turn the cookies over using two spatulas.
- Return to the oven and bake for another 3-5 minutes until tops are golden.
- When thoroughly cool remove from sheets and store in an airtight container for a week or freeze until needed.