This sausage packed flavorful cholent is inspired by Paella, which is a Spanish dish of rice, sausage, chicken or seafood. Arborio rice is a must in this dish, as it is a very thick grain rice that will not fall apart in your slow cooker.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 1 whole chicken, cut into eighths
- 1 pack (4 sausages) Jack's Gourmet spicy Mexican sausages
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 Spanish onion
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 2 green peppers
- 6 whole cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon saffron
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper (a bit more if you like spice)
- 2 cups frozen peas, thawed (for serving)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped parsley (for serving)
- Lemon wedges (for serving)
1. Combine all ingredients together in crock pot.
2. Add water to cover.
3. Cover the crockpot and cook on high heat for 1 1⁄2 hours and low heat overnight.
4. Serve topped with peas and parsley and lemon wedges.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now