This Jewish fusion southern dish is the ultimate combination of sweet, spicy, and savory. Pieces of spicy fried chicken schnitzel are served on a waffle topped with a sweet and spicy orange honey sauce.
Instead of using a whole egg to help the bread crumbs stick, we use just egg whites. This makes the coating crispy, not cakey.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1¾ cups almond or soy milk
- 2 eggs
- Dash of hot sauce
- 3 tablespoons chopped chives or sliced scallions
Fried Chicken Schnitzel
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons fresh chopped thyme, or ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary, or ½ teaspoon dried rosemary
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 3 egg whites, mixed with 3 tablespoons water
- 1 cup flour
- Kosher salt
- Freshly cracked black pepper
- 4 chicken breast cutlets, pounded thinly
- Extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup raw honey
- ¼ cup of orange juice
- ½ fresh jalapeno, sliced
- Zest of ½ orange
- Garnishes: Orange sections, blood orange sections, grapefruit sections, sliced jalapeños
1. Line baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Whisk flour, baking powder, salt, evoo, almond milk, eggs, hot sauce, and chopped chives or scallions. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
3. Grease waffle iron plates. Pour batter into iron and prepare according to manufacturer's directions.
4. Transfer waffle to prepared sheet pan.
1. Preheat oven to 300°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Toss lemon zest, orange zest, parsley, thyme, rosemary, and panko bread crumbs together in a pie plate, or on a piece of parchment paper for easy clean-up. Season with salt and pepper and set aside.
3. Place egg whites and water in a pie plate and set aside.
4. Place flour in a pie plate, or on a piece of parchment paper for easy clean-up.
5. In a large frying pan, pour in evoo so that it reaches ½-inch up the sides of the pan. Turn heat to medium-high.
6. Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper. Dredge breast in flour, then egg whites, and finally in seasoned panko.
7. Place chicken in pan, and brown chicken for 4 minutes on the first side. Flip and brown 2 to 3 minutes on the other, until it's golden and crispy. Transfer to prepared pan. Continue with remaining breasts.
1. Heat honey, orange juice, orange zest, and jalapeño over low heat in a small saucepan. Keep warm.
1. Before serving, bake chicken for 10 to 12 minutes until cooked through.
2. Warm waffles in preheated oven. Place a waffle on a serving plate, top with chicken, drizzle honey, and garnish with citrus.