I actually succeed in turning quite a few people on to my honey cake. Mine is moist and spicy and easy to love; I trust it will make you forget all the indignities of past dried-out and brittle honey cakes. I make it several ways, all scrumptious, but this is one of my favorite. The secret ingredient, orange marmalade, was shared by my dear friend Leah.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup oil
- ⅔ cup brown sugar or sucanat
- 1 cup honey
- 1 cup orange marmalade, try your best for all-fruit
- 4 eggs
- ¾ cup strong coffee, at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons rum or brandy
- 3 cups flour, all purpose, whole wheat pastry or spelt (spelt my favorite)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon each cinnamon, allspice and ginger
- ½ cup sliced almonds (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350°.
2. Whisk oil, brown sugar, honey, marmalade, eggs, coffee and rum or brandy in a bowl.
3. Mix remaining ingredients in a second bowl.
4. Combine both mixtures thoroughly, mixing only until just combined.
5. Pour batter into a greased tube pan, and bake 1 hour, or a little longer, until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.