- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 to 6 servings ServingsServings
- 1-1/2 pounds beef skirt steak, cut into 4 to 6-inch pieces
- 2 medium oranges, divided
- 2 cups chopped tomatillos (4 to 5 small to medium)
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Juice of 1 medium orange
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 tablespoons adobo sauce (from chipotle peppers)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 Combine Marinade ingredients in small bowl. Place beef steaks in food-safe plastic bag; turn steaks to coat.
2 Close bag securely and marinate in refrigerator 6 hours or as long as overnight, turning occasionally.
3 Grate 1/2 teaspoon peel from 1 orange. Cut this orange and half of remaining orange into segments. Chop segments into 1/2-inch pieces.
4 Combine orange peel and segments, tomatillos, onion, chipotle peppers, cumin and salt in medium bowl; cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
5 Cut remaining 1/2 orange into wedges; reserve for garnish.
6 Remove steaks from marinade; discard marinade. Place steaks on grid over medium, ash-covered coals.
7 Grill, uncovered, 10 to 13 minutes (over medium heat on preheated gas grill, covered, 8 to 12 minutes) for medium rare (145°F) to medium (160°F) doneness, turning occasionally.
8 Carve steaks diagonally across the grain into thin slices; season with salt, as desired. Serve with tomatillo salsa. Garnish with reserved orange wedges.