A model of Moroccan food simplicity. Another soup that costs pennies, takes minutes, and tastes like a million bucks. Vegetarian without even trying, and so much richer than the sum of its plebeian parts.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 large onions, quartered ,
- 8 ribs of celery, peeled and cut in large chunks
- 3 large carrots, cut in large chunks
- 1 pound bag green or yellow split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 1 large bunch flat parsley, stems and leaves
- 1 bunch cilantro, stems cut off
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 12 cups water
- Salt and pepper to taste
1. Put all but salt/pepper to boil in a wide heavy pot.
2. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer, covered, about 1 hour.
3. Add salt and pepper to taste. Cream with an immersion blender. Adjust texture and seasonings.
Recipe originally published in Joy of Kosher with Jamie Geller Magazine Fall 2014 Subscribe Now