This hearty soup is a one-bowl meal, or an elegant choice for a dinner party.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 3 quarts vegetable stock
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes in puree
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can kidney beans, drained
- 2 medium carrots, trimmed, scrubbed and diced
- 2 medium celery stalk ribs, washed and diced
- ¾ cup onion, peeled and chopped
- 1 small green bell pepper, cored and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, cored and diced
- 8 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 cup dry pasta, Penne or Rotini
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In a large soup pot, combine all ingredients except pasta, vinegar, and black pepper. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce heat to low and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until carrots are slightly tender.
3. Add pasta and cook 10 minutes, until pasta is tender.
4. Stir in vinegar and pepper. Serve in warm bread bowls.
Source: Wheat Foods Council