- Maple Barbecued Chicken
- 1/2 cup white-wine or rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 cup oil
- 5 whole chicken breasts (with skin and bone), halved
- 10 chicken thighs
- 10 chicken drumsticks
- 10 chicken wings
- maple barbecue sauce (recipe follows) for :basting and as an accompaniment
For maple barbecue sauce:
- 2 large onions, chopped fine
- 2 1/2 tablespoon :vegetable oil
- 2 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon Dijon-style mustard
- 1 1/4 cup ketchup
- 2 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- In a bowl whisk together the vinegar and the salt, add the oil in a stream, whisking, and whisk the marinade until it is emulsified.
- Divide the chicken pieces between 2 large bowls, pour the marinade over them, and let the chicken marinate covered and chilled, overnight.
- Grill the chicken on an oiled rack set for 10 minutes on each side, or until it is cooked through, baste it with some of the barbecue sauce, and grill it, turning it, for 2 minutes more.
- Serve the chicken with the remaining sauce.
Make maple barbecue sauce:
- In a large heavy saucepan combine the onions, the oil, the Worcestershire sauce, the mustard, the ketchup, the broth, the vinegar, and the syrup, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer it.
- n a large heavy saucepan combine the onions, the oil, the Worcestershire sauce, the mustard, the ketchup, the broth, the vinegar, and the syrup, bring the mixture to a boil, and simmer it
- Stirring occasionally, for 50 minutes, or until it is reduced to about 3 1/3 cups. The sauce may be made 1 week in advance and kept covered and chilled.