This simple recipe is from my mother. It is very easy to make, and it is also very healthy. Luckily my kids love this soup although its look is not very appealing. Since we are a vegetarian family, it is a great source of protein and iron. I usually make it with vegetable broth, but if I don't have one, I use organic instant vegetable bouillon powder.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 cup dry lentils
- 2 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 200 g wide noddles
- Salt and freshly ground pepper
1. Wash lentils and put in a large pot with 2 cups of water. Cook over high heat until boiling. Reduce the heat and continue to cook until lentils are tender, about 30 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, heat the oil in a medium pan and fry the chopped onion until golden.
3. Add the fried onion and vegetables broth to the lentils and reboil. Add the wide noodles, reduce the heat, and cook until the noodles have softened, about 15 minutes.
4. Season with salt and pepper as needed, and serve hot.