Lamb shanks are delicious when cooked long and slow, which makes them ideal for a slow cooker. Like all stews, it's a one-pot meal, but the lamb makes it special for Shabbat. Garum masala is an Indian spice mixture made with ginger, coriander, pepper and cardamon - warm, sweet spices that work beautifully with lamb.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 PeopleServings
- 2 lamb shanks
- one large spanish onion, chopped
- one bag baby carrots Or peel and chop one pound carrots
- one pound small red potatoes, quartered
- 1/2 teaspoon garum masala
- two bay leaves
- one tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- one pinch pepper
- 1/4 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- one cup water
- one tablespoon oil
Heat oil in heavy frying pan and brown the lamb shanks on all sides. Add them and all the other ingredients to a slow cooker and cook on high for four hours, or low for six.
If you have time, toast the almonds first - place in hot DRY pan and stir until they start to brown and take them out immediately.
If you're really short on time, don't brown the lamb shanks. It'll still be delicious.