Instead of pine nuts, try using pistachios, which give the kebabs a nice splash of color and add a nice crunchy texture.
- 6 ServingsServings
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and grated
- 1/4 cup pistachios, peeked and halved
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- salt and fresh ground black pepper
- canola oil
- In a large bowl, mix together all ingredients with your hands for about two minutes until all ingredients are well incorporated.
- Take enough meat to fit inside the palm of your hand (about a ¼ cup) and make either circular or elongated kebabs. Once all the meat is shaped, keep in the fridge until frying or grilling.
- Heat a large sauté pan or an outdoor grill. Lightly oil (either the pan or grill) and cook for about 3 minutes on each side, until the kebabs are ready.
Tips for the perfect kebab:
The best type of ground meat to use for kebabs is short rib, chuck, or flank. The meat should 80-85% lean (15-20% fat), otherwise it will become dry. Hand mixing the meat before making the kebabs will help the kebabs stick together and remain whole during cooking. Before cooking the entire batch, do a test run on one kebab to check to see if the meat needs additional seasoning. If the kebabs are sticking to the pan or grill- give them another minute of cooking and they then they can be easily removed.