- Prep Time
- 8 servings ServingsServings
- 4 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups strawberry or raspberry jelly or jam
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar, divided
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 11 x 16-inch jelly roll pan with wax paper lightly greased with non-stick baking spray.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat eggs for about 1 minute. Gradually add in granulated sugar, beating for another 4 minutes, until fluffy and pale yellow in color. Add salt and beat for 15 to 30 seconds.
- Fold in flour and baking powder gently but thoroughly, being careful not to deflate the eggs. Fold in vanilla extract.
- Spread batter in prepared pan and bake at 350 degrees for about 14 minutes until the center springs back when lightly touched (check after 12 minutes).
- Immediately turn out onto a clean, damp dish towel sprinkled with 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar. Peel paper from bottom of cake and roll in the towel. Unroll and spread with jelly or jam and roll again inside the towel.
- Remove towel, put cake on a plate, seam side down, and sprinkle with remaining confectioners' sugar. Slice and serve.
If you forget to take the eggs out ahead of time, just place them in a bowl of warm water for 3 to 5 minutes.
Contributed by: Quick & Kosher, JAMIE GELLER
A jelly roll is a great and elegant way to use up leftover jam and jelly.