When the cold winter wind hits, this is the soup you’ll want to warm you up. Hearty root vegetables and cannellini beans are filling, healthy, and delicious. And the Fried Sage leaves really take the flavor over the top.
You can make this soup ahead of time, cool, cover, and refrigerate for up to 3 days. When it’s time to reheat, just add a little water or vegetable broth if the soup is too thick.
Don’t open an extra box of broth! You can use water to make up any of the 10 cups of broth.
When pureeing the soup, an immersion blender makes easy work of getting all the lumps out. But if you don’t have one, a regular blender works, too, you just have to do it carefully. Hot liquids expand in the blender, so blend only a few ladlefuls of soup at a time. Fill the blender no more than halfway, place a towel on the lid with your hand on the towel, and blend on low speed. Transfer pureed soup to a bowl or pot until all the soup is blended.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil, such as Colavita extra virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, diced small
- 3 medium carrots, diced small
- 1 small fennel bulb, white parts only, diced small
- 2 celery stalks, diced small
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 (15-ounce) cans white beans such as cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 10 cups vegetable broth, or 8 cups of broth and 2 cups of water
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Garnish: 10 to 12 fried sage leaves (link under photo), drizzle of extra virgin olive oil
1. Add evoo to a large Dutch oven and place over medium heat. Saute onions, carrots, fennel, and celery for 5 to 7 minutes, until lightly browned. Add garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add beans and broth.
2. Blend soup in pot with immersion blender until it’s smooth with some good chunks. Or carefully blend half of hot soup in a blender.
3. Puree in small batches until soup is smooth. Pour soup back into pot.
4. Simmer for 20 minutes and season to taste with salt and pepper. Ladle into bowls and top with a few Fried Sage leaves and a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil.