Like I always say, thank G-d for Chanie, my sister-in-law. This classic Israeli salad hails from her table too.
Brought to Israel by Yemenite Jews, schug aka charif, is a fiery spicy hot sauce made from fresh red or green hot peppers. This popular condiment is a staple at falafel and shawarma shops and in our kitchen.
- Prep Time
- 1 (10-ounce) bag shredded carrots
- 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- ½ - 1 teaspoon schug or crushed red pepper
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
1. In large bowl toss carrots, garlic, parsley, schug, lemon juice, and oil.
2. Season to taste with salt and pepper.