Make mashed potatoes for this recipe or use leftovers to get more spinach into your diet in this perfect pass around hors d'ouevres.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 Idaho® potatoes, peeled, boiled and mashed
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and well-drained
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup grated pepper jack cheese
- 1/2 cup flour
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Cooking spray
1. Lightly brush a baking tray with vegetable oil or cooking spray. Set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine the potatoes, spinach and eggs.
3. Beat with mixer until well-blended. Season with nutmeg and cayenne pepper.
4. Add the cheese and 4 tablespoons of the flour. Stir until flour is well-blended.
5. Spread the remaining flour onto a glass plate and season with salt and pepper.
6. Using two teaspoons, form the spinach mixture into 1-inch balls.
7. Drop the spinach balls onto the flour-covered plate. Roll balls in the flour to coat and place on the prepared baking sheet.Place the tray in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before baking. Preheat oven to 450° F.
8. Remove balls from the refrigerator; spray them lightly with cooking spray.
9. Bake for 12-14 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Serve plain, or sprinkle balls with lemon juice.
Source: Idaho Potato Commission