Usually stuffed apples are reserved for dessert, but these tiny apples filled with roasted sweet potatoes are a new twist on a sweet side dish.
- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 2 cups peeled and diced sweet potatoes, about 2 medium
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 large shallots, sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Kosher salt
- Pinch of black pepper
- Several sprigs of thyme (optional)
- 4 Pink Lady apples
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Honey for drizzling
1. Preheat oven to 375°F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine sweet potatoes, extra virgin olive oil, shallots, ginger, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Place mixture on prepared baking sheet and spread it out into one even layer. Place the thyme sprigs on the potatoes (the leaves will scent and flavor the vegetables). Bake for 45 minutes in preheated oven, stirring occasionally, until the sweet potatoes are caramelized and the shallots browned.
3. Remove thyme sprigs and discard, transfer potatoes to a food processor and pulse until mostly smooth, some small chunks can remain. Transfer mixture to a piping bag.
3. Core the apples and rub with lemon juice to prevent browning. Pipe sweet potato puree into apples. Drizzle with honey, and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, occasionally basting with honey and juices, until apples are cooked and soft.