- Cook Time
- Prep Time
- 4 onion halves total ServingsServings
- 2 medium onions, peeled, trimmed, and halved crosswise 2
- 12 whole cloves 12
- 1 Tbsp light soy sauce 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp canola oil 15 mL
- 1 Tbsp molasses 15 mL
- 1 1/2 tsp balsamic vinegar 7 mL
- 1/4 tsp coarsely ground black pepper 1 mL
- 1/2 tsp granulated sugar 2 mL
- 1/8 tsp salt .5 mL
1 Preheat oven to 450F (230C). Coat a foil-lined baking sheet with canola cooking spray. Arrange the onion halves on the baking sheet and pierce evenly with the cloves.
2 Combine the soy sauce, canola oil, molasses, vinegar and black pepper in a small jar, secure with lid and shake vigorously until completely blended. Brush 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the soy mixture evenly over the onions.
3 Bake 25 minutes, brush 1 Tbsp (15 mL) of the soy mixture evenly over the onions, bake 5-10 minutes or until richly browned on edges and onions are tender.
4 Remove from oven and using a flat spatula, remove the onions and place on serving platter, spoon remaining soy mixture evenly over the onions and sprinkle with the sugar and salt.